[wpkg-users] Installing Microsoft.NET 4.0

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Fri Feb 17 12:21:20 CET 2012

Hi Mikhail,

On 17.02.2012 12:04, Mikhail Joseph Salviejo wrote:
> then next would be issuing the install code for the dotnet
> <install cmd='C:\Temporary\dotnetfx40.exe /passive /norestart' />
>
> the installation remains at this part whenever i check the log file

Make sure you're using the full installer (~50MB) and not the Web Installer
(~1MB). Get it from here for example:
<http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=17718>

And actually I think the switches do not work; the ones you listed below seem to
be correct.

> I even tried this one.
>
> <install cmd='C:\Temporary\dotnetfx40.exe /q /norestart' />
>
> even this one.
>
> <install cmd='%SOFTWARE%\DotNet\dotnetfx40.exe /q /norestart' />

I am using "/q /norestart" switches as well. The second command would work only
if %SOFTWARE% is set properly - either to your SMB/CIFS share or to the local
temporary folder.

For .NET deployment you really need to be patient. The installer might take up
to 30 minutes depending on your target machine. I have also not been able to
figure out what makes it take so long. For long periods during installation it
seems to be idle (no disk or CPU activity). I think it also tries to connect to
Microsoft pages during setup (maybe even downloads some updates) which might
take such a long time until downloaded or timed out.