[wpkg-users] MSI + MST: MST somewhat ignored when silent install

Mathieu Simon mathieu.sim at gmail.com
Mon May 14 22:42:54 CEST 2012

G'day

This is not strictly related to WPKG but I have been pondering upon some
school software
"Rund um ... Biologie heute" which I'd like to package with WPKG.
Normally total of 6 CDs
so it's definitely not a joy to play disk jockey... ;-)

Its Setup.exe has a "/a" switch for "Admin/Network-Installation" and
copies the complete content of
all 6 disks to a folder, and then contains a MSI. I want the Software to
be installed completely
on the local disks. The interactive MSI installer says InstallShield so
I guess it has been made with this software.
I have been able to create a MST with Orca.exe:

What confuses me is that when doing a interactive installation with the
MST, the options I have modified
via the MST are correctly pre-chosen (msiexec /i <msi>
TRANSFORMS=mytransform.mst) in the installer like
Start Menu location, and complete Installation option - but when I do a
reduced (msiexec /qr) or
silent (/qn) silent install, it only does a "typical" install which
requires CDs to be inserted for the
user (not what I'd like).

Is there a good way to look more closely where I'm biting myself with
InstallShield's MSI?

Best regards
Mathieu