[wpkg-users] Advice on remote assistance program to deploy

Pete Boyd petes-lists at thegoldenear.org
Mon Oct 1 12:07:59 CEST 2012

Likewise we use TightVNC server on Windows XP desktops, with Remmina as
the client on Ubuntu.

We used UltraVNC for a few years before switching to TightVNC as
UltraVNC is so appalling, I'm trying to remember what was so agonising
about it but my memory is a bit hazy:

- Version 1.0.4 was a major new version over 1.0.2, but you wouldn't
think so by the version number, which says to me that the developers
don't know what they're doing, in getting something so obvious so wrong

- documentation on the web site was too scant, thus confusing

- it uses extensions to the VNC protocol for domain logon that are
non-standard

For laptops that roam outside of the organisation where you have your
VPN, I'd recommend additionally installing TeamViewer (though it costs
money for non-personal use).

This is what we do for TightVNC install or upgrade:

Add Microsoft Security Essentials whitelisting of TightVNC:

reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft
Antimalware\Exclusions\Paths" /v "C:\Program
Files\TightVNC\tightvnc.exe" /d "00000000" /t REG_DWORD /f  1>NUL 2>NUL

reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft
Antimalware\Exclusions\Paths" /v "C:\Program
Files\TightVNC\screenhooks.dll" /d "00000000" /t REG_DWORD /f  1>NUL 2>NUL

Install TightVNC:

%SOFTWARE%\tightvnc\tightvnc-2.0.4-setup.exe

Install the TightVNC Server as a service:

"%PROGRAMFILES%\TightVNC\tvnserver" -install -silent

Stop the TightVNC Server whilst we import settings

"%PROGRAMFILES%\TightVNC\tvnserver" -stop -silent

Import settings:

regedit /s "%SOFTWARE%\tightvnc\tightvnc-settings.reg

Restart the TightVNC Server:

"%PROGRAMFILES%\TightVNC\tvnserver" -start -silent