[wpkg-users] User initiated runs of WPKG

Andrew Struiksma andrew_struiksma at msvl.k12.wa.us
Wed Oct 10 20:05:04 CEST 2012

Thanks for the info, Rainer. I have some questions below:

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 10:34 AM, Rainer Meier <r.meier at wpkg.org> wrote:

> Hi Andrew,
>
> On 10.10.2012 18:56, Andrew Struiksma wrote:
> > Has anyone figured out a way to allow users to
> > trigger wpkg.js with elevated privileges?
>
> You can use WPKG client for this.
> Install and configure WPKG client. Then make sure to configure it to terminate
> the service after execution.
>
> Then use SubInACL.exe to allow users running the WPKGService service:
>
> subinacl.exe /Service "WpkgService" /Grant=Users=TO
>
> Now users can run the service using "sc start WpkgService" or "net start
> WpkgService". Just place a cmd script/shortcut on their desktop on which they
> can click when it's convenient for them to do upgrades.
> br,
> Rainer

I've been doing some research on SubInACL.exe and it appears to be
designed for use with Win XP/Server 2003. The recommendations I saw on
the forums was to migrate to icacls.exe. Do you have any info on this?

To answer Lonney's post I do agree with him however we are going to
try to approach the WPKG update process from a variety of angles
probably including Group Policies and/or scheduled tasks however we
would like to have user initiated updates as one of the options so our
help desk staff can help a user trigger an immediate upgrade.

Thanks,

Andrew