[wpkg-users] WPKG on Windows 7

Marco Gaiarin gaio at sv.lnf.it
Tue Sep 11 16:04:16 CEST 2012

I mimic Rainer email of august about win8, becuse i'm still on XP and
i've to start, and quickly, to plan a migration to seven.

I've acquired a good confidence with WPKG on XP 32 bit, and have waited
so long permit me at least to move from XP 32bit to seven 64 bit, with no
grey/mixed areas, so with some simplification.

Anyway, i have many doubt, and i hope that someone can at least point me
to the right direction.

First doubt is about the ''client'': AFAI've understood:

+ WPKG Client work well on startup and shutdown on seven, but there's
  no way to have notification messages.

+ WPKG-GP have notification messages, but only on startup (and my
  experience say me that doing installation on startup is a pain).

So i'm thinking to keep WPKG Client, loosing shutdown message, at least
for now.

Second doubt is about not ''WPKG'' per se, but generally the
''ecosystem''. I try to explain me better.

I don't use AD, i've a ''pure'' NT-like setup with samba. On XP, i use:
 + WPKG for deploy
 + WPKG for system wide configuration (via directly patching the registry)
 + ya olde policy (eg, ntconfig.pol on netlogon share) for user based
   configuration; now i impose only a limit on roaming profile size and
   i setup some folder redirection.

Ok, reading around seems that old policy are not more useable on vista
and better (allelujah! ;), but seems to me that also there's no way to
obtain the same ''feature'' directly patching the registry, nor the
Local GPO seems to have the ''power'' to modify some aspect, like
roaming profile size and folder redirection (ignoring the fact that
copying around the LGPO seems not a so simple task).

Someone have at least some hints on that? Thanks.

--
dott. Marco Gaiarin				    GNUPG Key ID: 240A3D66
  Associazione ``La Nostra Famiglia''                http://www.sv.lnf.it/

	   http://www.lanostrafamiglia.it/chi_siamo/5xmille.php