[wpkg-users] deploy the application immediately without administrator rights

Troy Hamilton troy.a.hamilton at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 18:49:35 CEST 2012

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 5:16 AM, Florent Lagoda <florent.lagoda at uhb.fr>wrote:

> Hi,
> I search what is the exactly command that WPKG execute at the start of the
> computer for install software (without administrator rights).
> I would like to deploy applications according to user demand (without
> administrator rights / click to deploy the application immediately).
>
> It's possible ?

This is possible, but it may or may not be worth the trouble.

First, you need a way for a non-admin user to start wpkg running with local
admin rights.  To achieve this, you can install/configure a wpkg service
(either a custom service, or the one created by the installer).  This
service should run with local admin rights on the workstation (and if it's
the SYSTEM account, make sure the account has access to the installers if
they are located on a network share).  Then, you can use setacl.exe to
change permissions on this service so that non-admin users can start and
stop the service.

The second part you'll need is a way for a user to select what packages to
install and then make sure those packages get added to one of the wpkg
profiles that control installations on the workstation in question.  This
could be an HTA or something similar that displays the available packages
to the user, allows the user to select which ones to be installed, and then
writes the selected packages to the appropriate profile xml files.  The
last task for the utility would be to start up the wpkg service.

When I first set up wpkg, I configured a service that could be started by
non-admin users and it worked just fine, but I ended up abandoning that
method before deploying it throughout the organization since I wanted wpkg
to run at night when no users would be affected.

Cheers,

Troy