[wpkg-users] msiexec fails when pointed to dfsr share

Jason Taylor jtaylor at morrislaing.com
Wed Apr 3 22:07:24 CEST 2013

> It is run by the SYSTEM user, which in turn needs the Domain-Computers
> group to have access to the share and file system, see the other thread from
> today.

Well, that didn't change anything. What I don't understand is why only msi's fail, and only when accessed via the DFSR namespace. For example, this fails with 1619 (where %SOFTWARE% == '\\domain\it\software'):
<install cmd='msiexec /qn /i "%SOFTWARE%\AdobeReader\AcroRead.msi" transforms="%SOFTWARE%\AdobeReader\AcroRead.mst"'>

While this works:
<install cmd='msiexec /qn /i "\\server\software\AdobeReader\AcroRead.msi" transforms="\\server\software\AdobeReader\AcroRead.mst"'>

I don't understand why the first one fails. The files are the same. We've even stopped the other servers from publishing the namespace, so I can tell you that \\domain\it\software is being served by \\server\software. The permissions are identical, so if it works accessing the server directly, I don't see why it doesn't work when accessing it via DFS.

I also just tried running (from a SYSTEM command prompt) msiexec \\domain\it\software\adobereader\acroread.msi and it worked fine.

This is annoying that I can't figure out what's different between these two methods, and why one works while the other doesn't.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out here.
- Jason