[wpkg-users] WPKG and WOL (WAS: Re: Global max execution time hardcoded?)

G.Ott gerdott at taz.de
Thu Apr 4 18:58:01 CEST 2013

heiko.helmle at horiba.com schrieb:
> wpkg-users-bounces at lists.wpkg.org wrote on 04.04.2013 09:54:28:
>
>> > An agent would be the best way, so the agent would notify the user
>> > of the maintenance and the user could delay it for some time.
>
> I solved parts of the problem with a little script that runs as SYSTEM
> but after a user logs in. It solves two major complains my users had:
>
> * WPKG-GP delays the boot quite significantly (waiting for the network
> to start mostly) even if it doesn't actually install anything.
> * For mobiles (Notebooks) WPKG-GP delays boot up to 10 minutes in some
> cases trying to find the home network.
>
> So I figured that you can deactivate WPKG-GP with a registry switch and
> hacked a little script around that: ...

Hi,
As the discussion already widened the topic a bit, I would propose to
ask the community how they actually use wpkg.
Perhaps a doodle would make sense here too.

I would be interested to know if and which client is used and when
software is installed via wpkg.

We have only about 80 clients here, mostly XP, a few win7 in a Samba3-
Domain.
I use wpkg-client on shutdown and it works fine.

Some machines are switched off for a longer time and here as well, WoL
doesn't work in about 10% of the cases.

So I would like to have the possibility to run wpkg both on startup and
on shutdown: Usually new software-packages are deployed during working
hours, so users are not annoyed by long startup-delay, when sw is
installed on shutdown. But updates still would be installed, even if a
machine was turned off for a longer time.

Regards,
Gerd