[wpkg-users] InfoZip unzip and 64 bit

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Sat Apr 13 11:56:08 CEST 2013

Hi Marco,

On 12.04.2013 17:46, Marco Gaiarin wrote:
> I needed to uncompress some file on a %WinDir%\system32 subdir, and so
> i've created the folder by 'md' and then unzip the files insode,
> leading to error.
> After some fiddling (ok, afer hitting my head on the wall ;), i've
> found that 'unzip.exe' from info-zip is a 32 bit application, and so
> every operation on %WinDir%\system32 got redirected on syswow64 insted.
>
> There's some workaround? or an info-zip binary 64 bit?

Is it necessary to use Info-Zip? You might simply use 64-bit 7-Zip binaries to
extract the files. I am used to create 7-Zip self extractors which are usually
still smaller than typical ZIP files due to LZMA compression. Then simply
extract them using "-o%SytemRoot%\systeme32\folder -y" options.

If you insist in using an 32-bit application in order to write to the real
64-bit "system32" directory (what a mess Microsoft created here) you might also
try extracting to %SystemRoot%\sysnative folder. The "sysnative" folder points
to the real 64-bit folder for 32-bit applications.