[wpkg-users] WPKG uninstalling software

Toby Bluhm toby.bluhm at alltechmedusa.com
Thu Aug 22 19:41:21 CEST 2013

On 8/22/2013 12:02 PM, Donny Brooks wrote:

> On Thursday, August 22, 2013 08:20 AM CDT, "Donny Brooks" <dbrooks at mdah.state.ms.us> wrote:
>
>> I have been having this problem randomly in the past but yesterday when I pushed out an upgrade for Thunderbird it reared its ugly head worse than ever.  From time to time wpkg will get a wild hair and uninstall a piece of software, usually Firefox or Thunderbird, when there is no reason to do anything with it, no version change or anything.
>>
>> For instance, Tuesday evening I pushed out an update to Thunderbird moving it from 10.0.5 esr to 17.0.8esr (we use the SOGo plugins so have to use an ESR release). For most people the upgrade went as expected. While others had Thunderbird completely uninstall. On some of those a reboot worked, others I had to manually run "cscript \\wpkgserver\wpkg\wpkg.js /synchronize" to get it to reinstall. And a few of them I just had to manually reinstall Thunderbird.
>>
>> Now this morning, about a dozen users who had it install correctly yesterday had it uninstall. This is crazy and I cannot find a rhyme or reason to it. Has anyone else had similar issues.
>>
>> WPKG 1.3.9
>> Samba 3.5.10
>> --
>>
>> Donny B.
>
> I did some more digging and when wpkg runs the uninstall for thunderbird it is leaving the registry entry so the check is passing that it is installed. I am about to change the check type to file with version and location. See if that helps any.

Have you tried:

   <variable name="version" value="17.0.8" />

   <check type="logical" condition="or">
     <check type="uninstall" condition="versiongreaterorequal"
path="Mozilla Thunderbird %version%" value="%version%" />
     <check type="uninstall" condition="versiongreaterorequal"
path="Mozilla Thunderbird %version% (x86 en-US)" value="%version%" />
   </check>

I don't know what/how other people test things out.

For every $PKG_NAME I have defined in packages.xml, I have a
test_$PKG_NAME. I use a KVM guest profile'd to use the test_$PKG_NAMEs.

I've caught many problems with this method.