[wpkg-users] Howto monitor software upates

Falko Trojahn wpkg at trojahn.de
Mon Feb 11 11:29:17 CET 2013

Hello Ralf,

> Thanks for all replies. Let me sum up what we have so far:
>
> 1) RSS or email notification
> 2) One bash script for each software component to update
> 3) Update scanner firefox plugin
> 4) GLPI + FusionInventory
>
> My thoughts:
> 1) Not always available.
> 2) Good approach, but to time intensive to set up. Additionally needs
some
> administration to keep up with changes.
> 3) Not bad, but false positives is annoying and tends to ignoring
messages.
> 4) The "huge" approach but data collected at a single point on a server.
> Actually what I was looking for.
>
> I like the idea of no. 4 the most at the moment, but brings me to some
> other thoughts and questions which may be the wrong point to aks here:
> I was planning to implement an inventory system in any way. The only
> free/open source server/client software available  - which I found - and
> which is also capable of doing software licence inventory is OCS
Inventory
> NG.
We had OCS + GLPI but changed to Fusioninventory only some time ago. Some
licenses
are automatically recognised, some not - depends on Software.
ekeyfinder as wpkg package does a good job, too.

> Can anybody tell me if GLPI + FusionInventory is able to do software
> licence inventory? It would be a great deal to have everything together
at
> a single point...

GLPI reports plugin does a good job in showing licenses. Mostly I manage
the license entries manually by assigning the licenses and the client -
 e.g. multi-seat licenses get several clients assigned.

Example Adobe CS6 - license is not recognized by GLPI. Note even the name
of
the Main Product is available, so I use e.g. Photoshop CS6 as assignee
for the license, since it will be installed on all clients - other
components not.

Since the license informations like purchase date, contract, end date etc.
must
be inserted manually, too, maintaining licenses by hand is not so big
issue
for me.

Best regards,
Falko