[wpkg-users] False match of IP address to host name pattern (2)

Stefan Pendl stefan.pendl.71 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 23:12:15 CET 2013

Am 18.02.2013 17:19, schrieb VERDEYEN Jonathan:
> I hit a strange case of IP address matching a host definition :
>
> Found host 'cnsuzd.+|cnsuzw.+|cnsuzt.+' matching IP '172.16.2.121'
>
> So looking up the archive, I found the same case dating from 2009 :
> http://lists.wpkg.org/pipermail/wpkg-users/2009-September/005770.html,
> when you have 3 dots in the host name, it would be considered as an IP
> address.
>
> Now I can add another dot but I wanted to check if it was expected as
> you seemed to have come up with a workaround back then and I am using
> WPKG 1.3.0.
>
> Now strangely, on some computers it went on and installed the programs
> from the mistaken profile corresponding to the host definition with the
> 3 dots (on a server of course Jand on some laptops) but on the virtual
> machine I’m doing my tests on, a dryrun shows it will apply the correct
> profile corresponding to the host name even after matching the IP
> address to the wrong host definition :
>
> Profiles applying to the current host:
>
> DesktopMer
>
> Here is the xml host definition:
>
> <host name="cnsuzd.+|cnsuzw.+|cnsuzt.+ " profile-id="DesktopStdChina"/>
>
> Tell me if you need more information or more tests.

This is a problem I have reported twice now and it was already fixed
once, but it was reintroduced by a recent change.

I suggest to drop using the old name attribute in favor of the new
hostname attribute, which doesn't exhibit the problem, since it limits
the checking to host names instead of host names and IP addresses.

I have changed all my host assignments without loosing anything, but
gaining more reliability.

Generally speaking the name attribute is deprecated due to its universal
matching ability.

The hostname and ip attributes allow for better reliability and get rid
of many false matching problems.

--
Stefan P.

Top-posting: