[wpkg-users] DotNet 4.5

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Wed Jan 30 09:15:15 CET 2013

Hello,

On 29.01.2013 22:56, Addison wrote:
> Rainer or anyone,
>
> Do you happen to have a .NET 4.5 WPKG package that I could use as a template?
> It would be of great help!  Thanks so much for all your work.

Here you are:
<http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2015365/Microsoft%20.NET%20Framework.zip>

This is my personal toolset to install latest version of .NET framework on all
my clients. Unfortunately .NET is a bit tricky due to several restrictions:

- .NET framework 4.0 does not replace Framework 3.0/3.5 (need to install both)
- .NET framework 4.5 replaces 4.0 but only on Windows 7/8
- .NET framework 4.5 cannot be installed on Windows XP
- .NET framework 3.5 is included in 7 (but not Vista)
- Language packs are downloaded during installation (causing delay/issues)

If you just want to deploy .NET framework 4.5 to clients it applies to, then
just run Framework-4.5\unattended.cmd on these clients.

If you run unattended.cmd from top-level folder it will evaluate versions
applying automatically.

The script-set also allows to add additional language packs easily. By default
English installation is attempted and later additional language packs (if in
place) are applied.

WPKG package included as well (dotnet.xml).

This .NET stuf is even worse PITA to deploy than whole Java stuff. All these
versions and limitations to certain OS and required parallel installation of
multiple versions is a total mess from my point of view. Not even to mention the
required hotfixes which drop in frequently and their slow installation which
burns your CPU at maximum load for minutes to re-generate classes...