[wpkg-users] wpkg software deployment using bittorrent

Rob Bos rbos-wpkg at novylen.net
Tue Jul 9 00:52:15 CEST 2013

I have been using bittorrent extensively with WPKG lately with some good
results. It works reasonably well, taking between 30 and 60% of the load
off the central server.

We set up a torrent server mounting, via CIFS, the software share, and
generated torrent files and a tracker. The central server spins up 4
seed instances for each hosted torrent, and waits for clients to
connect. The kernel version shipping with RHEL6 doesn't implement
fscache very well with CIFS though, so that part is a work in progress.

In the WPKG, I created a batch file that starts the download via a
portable aria2c windows binary, and then when the download is finishes,
spawns a seed instance set to seed for ten minutes off the local copy.

The results have been quite positive.  Here's some stats from our last
imaging run a few days ago.  Robocopy transferred 112GiB at about
5.12MiB/sec, torrent managed 396GiB at about 5.94MiB/sec with a lower
standard deviation and 156GiB of peered data.  I don't believe my
coworker imaged more than 5-6 machines at a time, though; the numbers
get better the more are involved.

torrent average: 5.94 stddev: 1.72 median: 5.6
total torrent transfer: 396760 MiB; total peered data: 146916 MiB
incomplete or terminated torrents: 0
robocopy average: 5.12 stddev: 3.56 median: 4.49
total robocopy transfer: 112931 MiB