[wpkg-users] wpkg software deployment using bittorrent

Rob Bos rbos-wpkg at novylen.net
Fri Jul 12 02:07:49 CEST 2013

On 13-07-11 05:01 PM, Carlos R. Pasqualini wrote:
> uhh, wpkg running for 10 minutes, and i am using wpkg-gp on startup...
> with a screen locked out saying 'wpkg is installing xyz...' not viable
> at all!!!
>
> i was thinking about scheduling a task on login event, but that would be
> a thing to think about, we should need to take into account the user's
> privileges to launch the seeder and access de LOCALCACHEPATH
> i think we need to think more about this...

There's also the general fact that a package big enough to be worth
torrenting may also take 5-10 minutes to install, so the backgrounded
seed might end before the package even finishes installing. That's the
case for a few programs, like Creative Suite; the installation finishes
well after the seed is done.

Eliminating the seed phase entirely or reducing it wouldn't be a big
deal, it'd just mean that peering would only happen during download.

Lots of different options.

I'm planning on actually spinning up seeds as a startup script separate
from WPKG - you'll notice toward the end of torrent.cmd that it saves
the torrent and destination to a file; the plan is to have another
script use that to spin up local seeds on startup during imaging, but
not during normal operations. (our startup scripts distinguishes between
'setup' and 'startup' operation modes)