[wpkg-users] Global max execution time hardcoded?

Nicolas BRICHE nbriche at ch-peronne.fr
Tue Mar 26 13:23:15 CET 2013

Hello all,

Marco Gaiarin a écrit , Le 26/03/2013 11:22:

>> Even sysadmins are just humans and can do errors or just be
>> overwhelmed by unnecessary options.
>
> This is so true, and so generic, that i think can be used to proof both
> our thesis... ;-)))

Indeed.

However, users (including sysadmins) need not be overwhelmed by their
configuration file(s).

There could be a default, complete configuration file on one side, not (usually)
modified by the user (global-settings.xml?).  Then there would be the user's
settings file, which is there to override any value present in
global-settings.xml, on a need-only basis.

That way, you get the needed flexibility without flooding your local settings.

I think that's the standard way of doing settings management for large numbers
of values.  Of course, usually the defaults are generated at runtime then are
superseded when the settings file is read and everything is kept memory-only.
But I think in this case, having a separate global settings file would be easier
to maintain.

Just a thought.

Nicolas