[wpkg-users] Global max execution time hardcoded?

Carlos R. Pasqualini pasqualinic at fcal.uner.edu.ar
Tue Mar 26 13:57:23 CET 2013

El mar, 26-03-2013 a las 11:30 +0100, Marco Gaiarin escribió:
> Mandi! Stefan Pendl
>   In chel di` si favelave...
>
> > Summarizing, if you need a timeout, then it is likely that there is
> > something wrong with your package.
>
> Only a little note: what i'm doing (lowering default timeout) is
> reverting the timeout logic: now there's a larger timeout, and on every
> command i can lower it.
> I need to lower, and on some command set high.
>
> Yes, probably it is caused by my bad WPKG experience and
> ''programming'', but i cannot sustain a 60 minutes delay on boot, and
> now i've no time to recheck all my recipes to value and set timeout.
> So, putting a default, low, timeout is a ''safeguard measure'', that
> also permit me to find bed-behaviour package easily, and fix them.
>

> > Sure you have to invest some time and research, but the next update
> > will go smooth, so you have an advantage after the second run.
>
> Sure, i'm simply trying to choose the better way to do that, in my
> environment.

Marco:

i'm following this thread from the beginning, here and the other one in
wpkg-gp google group, as i am having troubles some times using wpkg.js +
wpkg-gp on our network; some computers are located inside the classroom,
and the teachers hate to wait for wpkg to make the upgrades... so it
would be great to have a timeout on a per boot basis.

But as i can see this, on this thread, we are talking about a timeout on
each run of exec(), i have lot's of 'exec()'s may be in one package
definition.

i think you can achieve the same functionally, without changing wpkg,
and just running a sed script on your server.

I agree with Stefan on one point: if a package runs for more than 60
minutes, then there is something to fix on your package definition;
there is no need to work around it on wpkg's code.

Some people on this thread (don't remember who) pointed out that wpkg
client have an option to timeout on client side execution time (global,
for all the exec() times on the same startup), i have searched for that
option in wpkg-gp's config file but found nothing, and i think that is
the point we (users of wpkg AND wpkg-gp) need to look for.

I don't think that changing the exec() timeout would make any difference
on your situation, or at least not here on FCAL.

Best regards

Charly