[wpkg-users] WPKG for remote / offline clients (who are never local)

Dave Evans dave.evans at goodness.co.uk
Mon Aug 4 15:53:48 CEST 2014

we have a number of users with laptops who work out of the office most
of the time (i.e. they come into the office 1 or 2 times a year).
others are remote desktops which never come to the office

what I want is for the client to:

  * connect to a central server somewhere (could be via VPN or a
    restricted server on the internet)
  * download any new or changed files in the background (like Windows
    Updates)
  * execute wpkg (possibly next boot to avoid killing running
    applications whilst we update them)
  * (optionally) send the log file back up to the central server

I initially thought that off-line / laptop mode was for this, but on
reading further I realise it's to stop the clients trying to access the
server when they can't, useful, but no help here.
I looked around to see if there was anything that anyone had already
done to help in this scenario - but I can't find anything helpful.
So I've started to code a solution, I'm getting on well, but there's a
lot of work to do, and I thought it was about time I checked with the
mailing list in case someone else knows something that will already do this.
It may be that it's obvious, but just called something my brain won't
think of (so I'll never find it using search)

I've considered using offline files to make the remote folder structure
available locally, but I've no way of ensuring that things will be
updated locally in the correct order to make them execute right.
My current idea is to run wpkg at boot as normal, then as the last task
download any new/changed files using BITS (the part of Windows Updates
which does the trickle download of new patches) then these new versions
should get installed next boot.

Does anyone know of anything that will do what I'm after already?
and if not
Would anyone else be interested in using this when I get it ready?