[wpkg-users] GetMSIProperties

Stefan Pendl stefan.pendl.71 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 07:39:45 CEST 2014

Am 16.10.2014 um 00:05 schrieb Marco Schmidt:

> On 15.10.2014 23:44, Stefan Pendl wrote:
>> Am 15.10.2014 um 23:25 schrieb Marco Schmidt:
>>> 1. the one you use to install
>>> This means to keep many old versions of the installer (at least if the
>>> version number is part of the msi-filename).
>>
>> I only keep the latest release of the installer, since the old release
>> is always replaced by the new one.
>
> This does not work on my side, because the wpkg keeps the "remove"
> command from the time of the installation. If I remove the old "msi"
> files from the install repository, the nodes where still an old
> version is installed can not access the msi for removal.

That is why I have "update before remove" in WPKG enabled, so there is
always the latest package definition used and installed.

>> On the other hand the flash player EXE supports the -uninstall command
>> line switch and removes any release of flash.
>
> For Flashplayer a seperate uninstall executable is available. Which
> does not change with the version.

Since flash player 11 the separate uninstaller is no longer offered on
the enterprise download page (distribution3.html) and the installer
offers the -uninstall switch.

There is no need to keep the old installers even if they contain the
version number in the file name.

Many installers also automatically remove any old release, so there is
nothing to bother too.

As time changes the packages get simpler.

I only have to keep an old installer, if the new release doesn't support
an older Windows release that I still use somewhere and haven't been
able to get rid by now.

--
Stefan P.

Top-posting: