[wpkg-users] Stop creation of fake users at wpkg.org

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Mon May 4 18:48:05 CEST 2015

On 2015-05-05 01:32, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:

> I'm not sure how to solve it. Animal captcha was working fine I think,
> but was using an external API from a company which no longer provides
> it.
>
> For now, we're only allowing edits by logged in users with a confirmed
> email address.
>
> Also, we automatically remove any users which don't have any edits and
> were created more than a week ago.
>
> So while I can see that there are many "spammy users" created, the
> only annoyance seem to be spamming the
> http://wpkg.org/Special:RecentChanges page.
>
> That said - I'll try to check if there is any possibility to prevent
> user creation if they don't supply an email address.

I see we already require an email address. And, there is a simple (yet
not very effective) captcha when user registers.

As a workaround, I've added this extension which hides user creation:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:RecentChangesLogFilter

(and any created / unconfirmed will be removed anyway).