[wpkg-users] icacls command timing out when run by wpkg

Thomas Wootten tw296 at ebcf.org.uk
Thu Oct 1 16:08:04 CEST 2015

I have a problem with an icacls command in one of my packages that times out when run by wpkg. When I run the command manually at the command prompt it has no problems - successfully processes many files, gives an error on a small number which are mainly hidden shortcuts, and returns an %errorlevel% of 0.

This is the full package. It's to set up a network share and ensure that a certain user can read all files and folders in it.

<package id="backup" name="Backup Configuration" revision="1" reboot="postponed" priority="10" >
		<check type="execute" path="%SOFTWARE%\check_backup.cmd" condition="exitcodeequalto" value="0" />
		<install cmd='net share Backup=C:\Users /grant:Admin,read /cache:no' />
		<install cmd='%COMSPEC% /C icacls C:\Users /t /c /remove:d Admin /grant Admin:r >NUL'/>
		<upgrade include="install" />
		<remove cmd='net share Backup /delete' />
</package>

I've tried it with and without redirecting the output to NUL, no difference. The target PCs are running Windows 7 Professional, 32-bit.

Thomas Wootten
IT Technician
East Birmingham Community Forum