[wpkg-users] Java8 and XP...

Christian Hoffmann choffmann at deutsche-kinemathek.de
Fri Oct 2 12:37:42 CEST 2015

On October 2, 2015 Marco Gaiarin wrote:

> I've found and old XP box lying around, and i cannot upgrade for now.
>
> Most of my WPKG recipe where stuck, and after some debugging i've found
> that the trouble came from Java8 (r51) that popup non-silently a
> window informing that XP is a unsupported SO.
>
> I run the installer with:
>
> 	jre-8u51-windows-i586.exe /s STATIC=0 AUTO_UPDATE=0 WEB_JAVA=0 REBOOT=0
>
> and in this way the installer does nothing (eg, exit with 0 and does
> not install jre). If i remove the '/s', clearly the warning popup.
>

> There's some way to circumvent that? Thanks.

Hello,

maybe it's worth a try to extract the MSI installer from
jre-8u51-windows-i586.exe to see whether or not it behaves differently
than the EXE installer when it comes to respecting the 'silent' parameter?

To extract the MSI installer, simply start jre-8u51-windows-i586.exe and
- without further navigation in the installer's GUI - navigate to
%username%\AppData\LocalLow\Oracle\Java, where you will find the
corresponding MSI installer file being extracted. Once you have copied
it, you can cancel further execution of the EXE installer.

As far as your wpkg package is concerned, a possible <install>-line
would be e.g.

<install cmd='msiexec /i "jre1.8.0_51.msi" JU=0 JAVAUPDATE=0
AUTOUPDATECHECK=0 RebootYesNo=No WEB_JAVA=1 /q' >
        <exit code='any' />
</install>

respectively - on 64 bit systems -

<install architecture="x64" cmd='msiexec /i "jre1.8.0_51_x64.msi" JU=0
JAVAUPDATE=0 AUTOUPDATECHECK=0 RebootYesNo=No WEB_JAVA=1 /q'>
        <exit code='any' />
</install>

Best regards

Christian

--
Christian Hoffmann
IT Administrator

Deutsche Kinemathek - Museum für Film und Fernsehen
Potsdamer Str. 2
10785 Berlin / Germany
https://www.deutsche-kinemathek.de/