[wpkg-users] Collecting config data from Client PCs via WPKG

Nicolas Briche nbriche at free.fr
Fri Apr 8 23:02:32 CEST 2016

Hi,

Unless you only have a very small handful of clients to manage that way,
I would take the opposite approach.  Instead of using WPKG to run an
inventory script, I'm using my inventory solution's limited deploy
feature to run my WPKG deployments.  That way I get a complete,
up-to-date view of each of my clients, _and_ I get targeted WPKG
deployments, manual or automated, on whatever group of machines I want,
at whatever time I want.  Best of two worlds with no additional sharing
headaches.

Sure, it means having to set up GLPI+FusionInventory (or equivalent
solution), but it seems like you're already on your way to writing your
own (remember, you're going to have to process those text files once
you've collected them), so you may as well use an existing one.

Bottom line is, if you have enough PCs to warrant a domain, you also
need something more than script-generated text files for your inventory
needs.

N.