[wpkg-users] Java 8 on Win64 - the saga continues...

Frank Morawietz nestolea at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 22:06:09 CET 2016

Hi,

I resumed my fights with the automated installation of Java 32-bit on
Windows 64-bit...

Now, I am some steps further and got some new insights that I would like
to share with you.

I found two situations where the installation simply hung:

1. When using  PSExec
On the very first start, PSExec interactively asks for confirmation of
it's license. So, before using PSExec for installation, I had to start
it interactively once, so that I could accept the license before using
it. For using it in the system context, I had even to start it like
this: "PSExec -s -i PSExec".

2. The Java installer dialog
The dialog of the Java installer has to be avoided by the appropriate
start parameters.

This hung situation was bad, because not only the Java installer, but
also the WPKG service itself got stock. Especially on Windows 8, WPKG
could only get back to work by either manually killing the hanging
installation processes or by performing an explicit reboot. Otherwise,
it keeps on hanging until the next Windows-update-caused reboot...   :-(

Then, I finally got the installation working. - At least on Windows 7,
64-bit. I had to start the setup program (jre-8uXX-windows-i586.exe)
with "%COMSPEC% /c", otherwise it failed with error code -80. I don't
know why it works without for you, Holger. Do you use another
installation program?

On Windows 8.1, the very same installation commands are still failing.
Or better, they succeed, but they only pretend.(!)

2016-01-26 19:38:32, DEBUG   : Executing command: '%COMSPEC% /c
%SOFTWARE%\jre-%UPDATEVER%u%SHORTUPDATEVER%-windows-i586.exe %PARAM% >>
%JAVA_LOG%' ('C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe /c
\\INSTSERV\autoinst\software\jre-8u71-windows-i586.exe INSTALL_SILENT=1
STATIC=0 AUTO_UPDATE=0 WEB_ANALYTICS=0 REBOOT=0 NOSTARTMENU=1 SPONSORS=0
/L \\INSTSERV\autoinst\logs\PC01-java-update.txt.log >>
\\INSTSERV\autoinst\logs\PC01-java-update.txt').
2016-01-26 19:38:41, INFO    : Command '%COMSPEC% /c
%SOFTWARE%\jre-%UPDATEVER%u%SHORTUPDATEVER%-windows-i586.exe %PARAM% >>
%JAVA_LOG%' returned  exit code [0]. This exit code indicates success.
2016-01-26 19:38:41, INFO    : Command in installation of Java Runtime
Environment returned exit code [0]. This exit code indicates success.

So, the installation was obviously successful. But nothing got
installed! There is no Java installation nor does even the logfile get
created.

A few lines later, WPKG notices this itself and reports it in the log file:

2016-01-26 19:38:44, ERROR   : Could not process (upgrade) Java Runtime
Environment.|Failed checking after installation.

Has anybody else ever experienced this? Any ideas?

All the best,
Frank
--
Frank Morawietz