[wpkg-users] Java 8 on Win64 - the saga continues...

Frank Morawietz nestolea at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 23:13:49 CEST 2016

Dear WPKG users,

concerning the installation of Java 32-bit on Windows 64-bit, I can
confirm the discoveries of Marco Schmidt:

When trying to install Java 1.8.0, Update 77, on Windows 8.1 with the
EXE installer without the config file
%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Oracle\Java\java.settings.cfg  the installation hung
again.

Then I copied the file %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Oracle\Java\java.settings.cfg
from a Windows 7 PC with 64-bit, where the installation worked. And all
of a sudden it worked on Win 8.1, too!

Now there is even one step less for the Java updates - no more need to
extract the MSI file out of the EXE installer for me! New versions can
even be prepared directly from Linux on the server - no more need to
start Windows only for providing the MSI file.

Good job Marco, thanks a lot for your research!

To all of you a nice and peaceful rest of Eastern,
Frank
--
Frank Morawietz