[wpkg-users] wpkg-gp extension failing with semaphore error.

Steve Kersley steve.kersley at keble.ox.ac.uk
Mon Nov 5 16:08:11 CET 2018

After upgrading a w10 workstation to update 1803, noticed that WPKG wasn't being run on restart.  Uninstalling and reinstalling wpkg-gp did not fix.  The service is running, and using wpkg-gp-test worked fine, it was just the GPE that wasn't running.

Couldn't see anything obvious in Event Viewer, but GP Results showed in the Group policy infrastructure event log that it skipped the Wpkg-GP extension 'based on client side processing rules'.
Looking further down saw a note:
"Wpkg-GP failed due to the error listed below.
The exclusive semaphore is owned by another process."

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?  It was working prior to the 1803 upgrade but whether that's coincidence or the cause I'm not sure.  But would like to fix before we start pushing upgrades out to other machines.  Trying to google for the semaphore error isn't giving any helpful suggestions.

Steve.