[wpkg-users] Updates without taskkill?

Andreas Schamanek schamane at fam.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Mar 17 13:36:42 CET 2021

Thanks everyone for your valuable inputs. I came to the conclusion that
there's -- surprise, surprise -- no fits-all solution. So, I chose
different approaches for different computers and users (my network is
heterogeneous, and fortunately small). The 2 main approaches are:

1) Where users have admin rights I removed the scheduler task and
removed Thunderbird + Firefox from their WPKG profiles so that these
two get updated automatically by their own means.

2) On other PCs I removed the scheduler task and I made sure
hibernation/quick start is disabled, so that these PCs get updates
only at boot time.

However, I wish things would work in Windows like they do in Linux
where Firefox updates are installed in the background and the running
Firefox instance then notifies the user that a restart is due.

There are probably ways to achieve this but my user base is too small
to warrant the efforts of pursuing this.

--
-- Andreas

      :-)