[wpkg-users] Opening links in IE11 on WIn10+ ...

Marco Gaiarin gaio at lilliput.linux.it
Wed May 31 18:42:15 CEST 2023

I need to open some internal legacy sites in IE; for some reason, i prefere
to continue to open in IE, not 'ie modes' lysing around (in Edge, but also
in FF).

Microsoft documentation seems to me incomplete and confusing, and i'm
totally puzzled.

For now i've tried different methods:

1) Uninstall edge.
  Pros: works. ;-)
  Cons: because Edge get reinstalled at every Microsoft update or so, even
    if i've setup a WPKG recipe that uninstall Edge, could be that get not
    executed, users get edge and cannot open the internal app until reboot.

2) disable the redirect BHO, eg:
	reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Edge" /f /v "RedirectSitesFromInternetExplorerPreventBHOInstall" /t REG_DWORD /d "1"
	reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Ext\CLSID" /f /v "{1FD49718-1D00-4B19-AF5F-070AF6D5D54C}" /t REG_SZ /d "0"

 Pros: works. ;-)
 Cons: as above.

3) So i've tried to setup an 'EnterpriseList', to manage explicitly the site
 that need to redirect. Looking at:

	https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/DeployEdge/edge-ie-mode-policies
	https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/ie11-deploy-guide/enterprise-mode-schema-version-2-guidance
	https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/ie11-deploy-guide/turn-on-enterprise-mode-and-use-a-site-list

i've setup an enterprise list XML file, put in a test place and load it with
the registry keys.
I've put to 1 the value 'EnterpriseModeSiteListManagerAllowed' in key
'HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Edge'.
I can see in users profile that the policy get loaded, but does not work.

If i enable explicitly the list in edge configuration, it is marked at error
on page 'edge://compat/SiteListManager', but if i load manually, seems to
load correctly.

Still does not work, eg if i run IEXPLORE.EXE expicitly, i get redirected to
Edge.

I've found other links, but seems confusing to me:

	https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/edge-learnmore-neededge
	https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/edge-ie-mode-local-site-list
	https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/microsoft-edge-policies#enterprisemodesitelistmanagerallowed
	https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/edge-ie-mode-site-list-manager

Someone have some clue?! Thanks.

--
  Sicuramente non è necessario essere laureati in economia e commercio
  per scrivere cazzate, ma aiuta.			(MdI)