[wpkg-users] SSH installation time for Win11 24H2+ ...

Marco Gaiarin gaio at lilliput.linux.it
Thu Sep 24 15:39:12 CEST 2026


Mandi! Adam Thorn
  In chel di` si favelave...

Sorry for the very late answer...

>> But for recent Win11 version (i suppose 24H2, surely for 25H2) the command:
>>       <install cmd='powershell -command "Get-WindowsCapability -Online | Where-Object {$_.Name -Like \"OpenSSH.Server*\"} | Add-WindowsCapability -Online | Out-Null"' >
>> took a HUGE amount of time to complete; on a decently recent box, 25-30
>> minutes, on a underpowered/old one 40+ minutes.

> https://github.com/PowerShell/Win32-OpenSSH/discussions/2437 looks
> relevant , and I fear the answer is "because that's how enabling Windows
> Features works"
> (possibly also https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/discussions/
> windows11/why-is-add-windowscapability-so-slow-for-rsat/4076732 -
> similar comments about Add-WindowsCapability being really slow for
> installing the RSAT tools)
> The thread does comment about it being much faster to just install
> OpenSSH-Win32-v10.0.0.0.msi  which I think comes from https://
> github.com/powershell/win32-openssh/releases , but I don't know if there
> are any differences in directly installing the MSI versus enabling the
> feature/capability.

Seems not exactly the same... i used

	https://github.com/PowerShell/Win32-OpenSSH/releases

repository for early Win10 relese and Win7, but package of OpenSSH seems
stopped for a 10.0.0 prelelase on 2025, while for example win10 have:

	OpenSSH_for_Windows_9.5p1, LibreSSL 3.8.2

but win11 have 9.5p2, for example, that is not even listed in MSI repo.


Seems there's an alternative path; downlaod the full 'Languages and Optional Features for Windows 11, version 24H2 and 25H2':
	https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-desktop/windows-11-language-packs

extract the OpenSSH CAB file and install with '-Source' option:
	https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/dism/add-windowscapability


I give it a try, but...

-- 




More information about the wpkg-users mailing list