[debian-non-standard] debian on fsg - cannot connect to device after flashing though usb stick is blinking at boot

Tomasz Or?owski t.orlowski at wsisiz.edu.pl
Mon Mar 3 07:42:49 CET 2008

hathe at sidux.com napisa?(a):
> Hi there,
> I'm sorry, I posted the following on the discussion page of
> http://wpkg.org/Running_Debian_on_Freecom_FSG-3 as well, I found that mailing
> list right after posting.
> So:
> After flashing I cannot reach the device anymore. Though USB stick is blinking
> while booting...is this entry in my local sources.list correct?
>
>  iface lan0 inet static
>        address 192.168.111.187
>        broadcast 192.168.111.191
>        netmask 255.255.255.192
>        network 192.168.111.128

Hi

I had similar problem. For my 500gP (you didn't mention your model) it
was reachable via LAN port after flashing. But I think there is no
general rule. Some people said that they contacted with Asus after
flashing through WAN port. So I think you should try both but starting
from LAN if we are talking about 500gP.

Are you sure you've setup your PC's interface to same subnet while
pinging/ssh attempt?

If you haven't got serial cable, try to use network sniffer like
Wireshark. Connect Asus directly to your PC (without switch) and listen
on LAN and WAN port while device is booting.
You should notice packets from the box and obtain its IP.

> Should i put the LAN cable to WAN port or one of the three LAN ports?

Simply unplug USB stick from router, mount it to your PC (with Linux OS
:oP) and change /etc/network/interfaces for your needs :)
It's also worth to check the logs. But there is nothing like serial
console :)

Thanks