[debian-non-standard] wl500gP 128MB memory upgrade ?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Sun Apr 20 00:14:59 CEST 2008

Igor Videc schrieb:
> On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 8:29 PM, Tomasz Chmielewski <mangoo at wpkg.org> wrote:
>> Igor Videc schrieb:
>>

>>> Hy all,
>>>
>>> I have setup a wl500gP with debian as per instructions on
>>> http://wpkg.org/Running_Debian_on_ASUS_WL-500G_deluxe .
>>> It runs great with a 2.5'' notebook hdd on usb2.0.
>>> As I started adding more services I noticed that ram usage went above
>>> 32MB and swap was getting used a lot.
>>> If you read http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=12962 it sounds
>>> perfectly possible to upgrade to 128MB of ram which would make wl500gP
>>> one fantastic small debian system.
>>> For the 128MB support it is neccessary to have this patch
>>> http://oleg.wl500g.info/wl500gp/kernel-mvista-mem.patch (or maybe not
>>> ?).
>>> Is that patch already included ?
>>> If not, can it be ?
>>> I'm not that much into kernel compiling(not at all) and have no idea
>>> if that is applicable to 2.6.19.2 in use at the moment(the newer
>>> kernels are not stable?) ?
>>> I would rather know in advance before I disassemble my router :-)
>>>
>>  No, this patch is not included.
>>
>>  But as you download it, you will see it's really trivial and should apply
>> without problems.
>>
>>  You're brave to do these intrusive things to your router ;)
>
> I got 5 of these routers pretty cheap(second hand, 30€) so for the
> sake of experimenting I think it is worth it :-)
>
> If I understand correctly according to
> http://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=14560 if I add
> wget --no-check-certificate -q -m -nd -O -
> "https://dev.openwrt.org/attachment/ticket/3177/detect-128mb-ram.diff?format=raw"
> | patch -p0
> right after svn checkout --revision 6850
> https://svn.openwrt.org/openwrt/trunk/ according to your instructions
> then that should apply the patch ?
> As I have never before even tried compiling the kernel I have no idea
> if this is the right step to make ?

Look inside that patch - you will see which files it changes.

"-" means the lines it removes, "+" means the lines it adds.

Before you apply any patch, you have to do at least one build -
otherwise, kernel source won't be downloaded and unpacked.

If you've never compiled Linux kernel before, it may be a bit hard, I guess.

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org