[debian-non-standard] Debian on Thecus5200: how to read ide 44-pin

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Sat Jul 19 11:19:04 CEST 2008

elmer at leet.la schrieb:
> hello,
>
> I bought a new and bigger Transcend IDE 44 Pin Horizontal to replace the
> original one.
> But how can i read it ?
> I know it's a 44pin like a 2.5 ide laptop drive
> So i tried to read it from my computer, with a usb external case 2.5 but
> it cant
> In the device manager of windows i see it appears "usb mass storage"
> with yellow exclamation point.
> I tried with a linux pc but it cant read it neither.(i/o errors in syslog).
> But it does same problem with the original thecus disk. So i know it's
> not a problem with the new one.
> I even tried directly with my laptop (i replaced my disk with the
> transcend).
>
> Do I need a special dedicated reader ?
>
> My plan is to install a distribution from another PC and then plug it
> into the thecus. (as described here:
> http://wpkg.org/Running_Debian_on_Thecus_n5200 "once you have a bigger
> IDE flash disk, it should be easier if you perform an installation on
> another machine. When it's complete, just put that IDE flash disk to
> Thecus n5200, and you're done - you have a distro of your choice on n5200" )

Is it really the same one as used in laptops / 2.5 ide drives? I'm not sure.

To be quite frank, I did the installation in n5200 - just replaced the
module, and started the installation off PXE.

To do this, I connected a USB keyboard and a monitor (via a VGA cable -
although there is no connection in thecus, you can plug the cable
directly into the board if you only plug in the pins (you need to remove
the "outer" part of the cable, whatever it's called.

Note here - n5200pro doesn't seem to be able to boot from PXE; whereas
n5200 can.

Other possibility is to boot off the USB stick - you can set it in BIOS
both in n5200 and n5200pro.

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org