[debian-non-standard] debootstrap from x86 to mipsel

Tomasz Orłowski t.orlowski at wsisiz.edu.pl
Fri Sep 5 20:13:01 CEST 2008

Tomasz Chmielewski pisze:
> I just received an answer from a Debian maintainer that it's not
> possible to do a second stage in a foreign architecture environment.

Hi mate, sorry for late reply but I was on hols.
Very strange answer from him. I don't get what will be a reason of
having this option without possibility to do 2nd stage on foreign arch -
Completely useless :)
I really got it working. I've even documented all of commands with
outputs, because I'm using flashed Asus box as a part of my M.S. thesis,
so I need to have it documented :)

After first step of debootstrap on x86 I've compiled my own image with
USB and ext3 support, but what is most important, you have to use swap
to perform 2nd stage.
Without it, 2nd stage was failing for me with 16MB enabled (my box is
hanging with 32MB enabled).

After falshing,booting, enabling swap and mounting USB stick, I've
simply run:

chroot /mnt/usbstick/ /debootstrap/debootstrap --second-stage
I: Base system installed successfully

As you see it finished nicely.
So at the end I've mounted proc to newly debootsrapped system, chrooted
into it, created fstab, corrected inittab, set root pass, hostname, and
voilà... :)

Tomasz Orlowski