[debian-non-standard] [Fwd: Re: Debian Lenny in the USB-stick for FSG-3]

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Wed Nov 5 14:46:41 CET 2008

On Wed, November 5, 2008 2:22 pm, Ivà wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As you can see here [1], we should be able to run a "default" lenny
> kernel on a fsg-3, but we still need a serial cable to load it.

You don't need a serial cable to "load Debian" (if you use instructions
from http://wpkg.org/Running_Debian_on_Freecom_FSG-3).

> Is there an easy way to update the kernel and filesystem in the
> USB-stick [2] for FSG-3, and test it without a serial cable?
>
> It would be a great way to install an updated debian lenny.

Do you have a FSG-3 with working Debian already?
If you do, just correct the sources in /etc/apt/sources.list, and perform
an upgrade (apt-get update ; apt-get upgrade).

Updating a kernel may be tricky without a cable, as you won't know if it
loads or not. But certainly possible:
- build a kernel - in 2.6.27 FSG-3 is supported in a mainline kernel
- try to execute it with kexec - if it boots, you can flash it; or, change
your startup scripts to kexec a new kernel if such is found - this way,
you don't even have to flash anything

--
Tomasz Chmielewski