[debian-non-standard] Debian on FSG - status/help

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Tue Jan 13 12:36:54 CET 2009

tsr schrieb:

>>> - How is it going with the LEDs and buttons?
>> They are "hardcoded" to reboot/shutdown initiated from within the kernel.
>>

> According to the nslu2-list someone named Rod was working with this,
> I'll get in touch with him.

Please tell us your findings.

>>> - is there any configurable fan-deamon available?
>> There is a fand when you look at openfsg.org (expect a few glitches
>> though).
>>

> What are the glitches I can expect? Are they serious?

As I remember, I had to do few changes in the sources to make it work.
However - fand reads temperature to set the fan speed.
For some reason, _sometimes_ the temperature sensor was giving me 60
degrees (or 80?), even a few seconds after enabling the device. Which is
I think were totally wrong outputs.
In turn, fand was setting the speed to maximum.
It may be something with my device, maybe a newer kernel is needed...

>>> More specific help wanted (that frankly is more general linux/Debian
>>> related than FSG):
>>>
>>> - marvell wireless: I've seen then maxtor-package containing some kind
>>> of driver for the card, but honestly I just don't understand what I
>>> should compile from it. Alternatevly I've found a menuconfig output
>>> showing the marvell as an option (but I seem can't to find it again -
>>> more digging) any pointers?
>> I don't think you can compile it from these sources with a recent kernel.
>> You might try asking at linux-wireless list about the support for this
>> card - maybe something changed since August 2008.
>
> Well, I don't mind using an old kernel. The README in the MSSII-package
> say the kernel is from the 2.6 line. The kernel I am using atm in the
> FSG is the one you provided in the fsg-deploy-usb-package and that is a
> 2.6.20 so I'm prepared to give it a shot. Anyway I've been looking
> around and can't find any good instructions on how to compile only a
> module and also I don't know what exactly I should compile. Some help
> would be very much appreciated.

2.6 line? What kernel exactly?

> I suspect that I need the header files for the 2.6.20 kernel (I don't
> mind downloading the whole source tree) but I need to know if you made
> any changes from the official release to suit the fsg before you put it
> in the deploy-tar. If so I would like to get those sources from somewhere.

I guess there were some changes, but it shouldn't interfere with
anything wireless-related.

Try asking at linux-wireless mailing list about support for this card.

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org