[debian-non-standard] 2.6.30 kernel for ASUS WL-500g*

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Fri Jun 19 23:34:25 CEST 2009

Sebastian Bialy wrote:
> Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
>> I just uploaded 2.6.30 kernel, modules and other stuff for ASUS
>> WL-500g* routers.
>
> Thanks.
>
>> Wireless works with Broadcom cards, but is not very stable (i.e. you
>> will have to restart hostapd from time to time).
>
> Is it known issue with broadcom driver or Ausu wl500g specific?

It's a known issue with some Broadcom cards (which happen to be shipped
with Asus WL-500g*). See:

https://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/bcm43xx-dev/2009-June/008997.html

I suggest buying an Atheros card.

I bought one on ebay for ~15 euro recently.

There are several types of Atheros cards; supported by ath5k and ath9k
modules, and it may be unclear which one you are buying.

It turned out I bought ath5k one, which doesn't support AP mode in the
stable kernel.

Thankfully, AP code for ath5k is in the latest wireless-compat code
(development code for Linux wireless cards), and it works for me.

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org