[debian-non-standard] 2.6.30 kernel for ASUS WL-500g*

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Tue Sep 15 10:20:49 CEST 2009

Aryanto Rachmad wrote:

> 1. How do we use this kernel 2.6.30 that you have been discussing here?

Just flash the 2.6.30 image from the link you provided below.

>   A few years back, when I tried to have Debian running on my old
> WL-500g Deluxe, I used Openwrt to boot it then chroot to Debian on USB
> hard disk. Is it still the case now?

No, it does not make much sense to run a full operating system which is
chrooted - especially on such small devices.
For once, you would take precious RAM to keep the "main" system running,
and then the chrooted one.
Second, not everything chrooted works as it should (or you have to spend
additional time to make everything run correctly in a chrooted environment).

> 2. Is the kernel 2.6.30 on http://www1.wpkg.org/debian-asus/2.6.30/
> compiled with glibc or uclibc?

Linux Kernels use neither glibc nor uclibc.

> 3.  Does the original ASUS WL-500gP Broadcom Mini-PCI work with kernel
> 2.6.30?

It does work, although not reliably.

>    If not, would it be better to have Atheros based Mini-PCI? If so,
> which Atheros based Mini-PCI is known to work well?

ath9k works well; I personally have ath5k card and it works well, too.
If you buy a new one, it is pretty hard to find out which module will
your card use.

> 4. Is the patch to have 128MB RAM included in this kernel 2.6.30?

I have no idea (I didn't include any extra patches for that).

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org