[debian-non-standard] 2.6.30 kernel for ASUS WL-500g*

Aryanto Rachmad aryanto at chello.at
Tue Sep 15 22:15:54 CEST 2009

Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> No, with ASUS WL-500g* (and most, if not all similar routers) it is
> not possible to boot the kernel directly from a USB-stick (or USB hard
> disk).
>
> Here, we flash the kernel on device's internal flash.
>
> Then, when the device boots, the bootloader reads the kernel and
> executes it. Later, the kernel continues to boot userspace from a
> USB-stick (or hard disk).

So it is basically like the way Openwrt boots, but it remains getting
everything from the Flash. I tried (again a few years back) to use an
"init" script, to be executed after the USB hard disk is mounted, but it
didn't work. Because somehow the kernel was still searching for
something in the Flash instead of the USB hard disk. So I thought we
should load the kernel from the USB disk as I mentioned before. So could
you please explain in more detail how to switch to the USB hard disk
during the booting?