[debian-non-standard] Lenny @ Asus wl-500g

Tomasz Orłowski t.orlowski at wsisiz.edu.pl
Tue Feb 2 22:38:05 CET 2010

Frank Loeffler pisze:

> Instead (or in addition) to publishing this package, it would be nice to
> document the steps you have taken as best as you can. This would
> probably help more, especially in the future, when someone tries a
> similar, but not quite the same setup.

Sure.
Sorry for late reply. Had some crazy days.

1. First you need to perform 1st stage of debootstrap on x86 box which
will cause download of all required software and build initial structure
in provided path. For example directly to your usbdrive mountpoint.

    debootstrap --include=openssh-server,udev --foreign --arch mipsel
lenny /path/to/usbdrive http://ftp.debian.org/debian

2. 2nd stage of debootstrap process has to be done on mipsel box. Best
way to do this is usage of your router with slightly modified OpenWRT
compilation.
You need to recompile whole project adding only support of USB storage,
SCSI and ext3. Busybox's swaponoff support may be also required for
boxes with small amount of RAM.

3. When you boot up OpenWRT, plug in your stick, turn on swap with:

    swapon /dev/sdaX

... mount your main stick's ext3 partition with structure downloaded in
1st stage of debootstrap and run this:

    chroot /mnt/sdaX/ /debootstrap/debootstrap --second-stage

And actually that's it :)
Everything what is left is cofiguration of following files:
    etc/inittab(for console support),
    etc/fstab(for mountpoints),
    etc/network/interfaces(for network conf)
    and etc/hostname (for hostname ;) )

PS: Created system in such a way should boot up - however console is
strongly recommended here.
Thanks to this I've spotted some small issues. One of them were issues
with udev.
I was receiving message like this:

    .udev/ already exists on the static /dev! (warning).

Resolving is quite simple... looks like /dev/.udev is not cleared in
debootstrap process, so doing "rm -fr /dev/.udev" will sort it.

2nd warning I had was:

    Starting the hotplug events dispatcher: udevdudevd[214]: main: the
kernel does not support inotify

The solution is to include the following functionality in your kernel:
(File systems  --->Inotify file change notification support & Inotify
support for userspace)

I think that's all in majority.
Currently I'm uploading Lenny build + my kernel images + configs to
Sebastian's FTP site. If he kindly agree to provide the link, feel free
to grab it.
I'll try to create some detailed step-by-step doc and post it somewhere
in better form. But currently don't have a good place.
I'm writing thesis where I use Asus+Lenny as a base for VoIP solution,
so I'll create it anyway.

Hope that helps
Tomek