[debian-non-standard] Running debian on Asus wl500g premium

Tomasz Or?owski t.orlowski at wsisiz.edu.pl
Fri Dec 17 01:25:18 CET 2010

Jose Legido pisze:
> Excuse me if I explain very bad in English, sorry. My problem is how can
> I boot debian from usb stick
>
> I have flashed router with:
> openwrt-brcm47xx-squashfs-for_2nd_stage_process.trx

Hi Hose, I think you've became confused by my a bit poor notes from the
past.
Please notice that "openwrt-brcm47xx-squashfs-for_2nd_stage_process.trx"
image you used, is not dedicated to boot Debian.
I've created and posted this modified version of OpenWRT for anybody who
would like to perform any own debootstrap of Debian which may be usuful
for example in the future if new versions of Debian will be released. So
probably that's why you obtain OpenWRT all the time... but this is
expected behavior :)
If you don't want to build Debian "from scratch", you should use
"2.6.25.20-openwrt-brcm47xx-jffs2-128k.trx" image instead (if you got
wl500gP box). Only this image will be looking for Debian on your USB stick.
> In http://155.158.112.226/lenny_mipsel/README.txt:
>
> - fstab is configured to use swap on /dev/sda1 and "/" partition on /dev/sda2

It means you should create swap partition as sda1 on you USB stick using
your PC and create ext3 partition on /dev/sda2. Then you should untar
"debian-lenny-mipsel-2010-Jan-31.tar.bz2" file to fresh /dev/sda2

You've mentioned your router does not response to TFTP server from
192.168.1.1 now... which is weird. My image do not set anything in
router settings... so this address shouldn't be changed. Have you tried
again? Maybe you pressed button from back panel for too short period or
you do not flash via one of LAN ports?
Ideally it's the best to have console soldered to pinouts of router
board. Nothing helps more than this. But if you wouldn't like to do it
for any reason, try to connect one of LAN ports directly to your PC card
and run some network sniffer like Wireshark/tshark and start collecting
packets from the moment of powering on your router. You should capture
some packets and read what is IP of you router.... but I'm pretty sure
it is still 192.168.1.1, so would be good to doublecheck

Hope it helps.

Tom O.