[debian-non-standard] Building new kernel for ASUS WL-500gP and Co

Martin Steigerwald Martin at lichtvoll.de
Sat Jun 2 19:50:07 CEST 2012

Hi!

I tried it today.

With openwrt-trunk I had to copy the kernel configuration to
target/brcm47... something in order to not have the OpenWRT build system
overwrite my kernel configuration on every build attempt. That was a 3.3.7
kernel.

Then build failed at B43 WLAN driver. And at something else.

Then I tried backfire branch. Toolchain didn´t compile. Possibly due to
using gcc-4.7 on my Debian Sid.

Then I tried backfire 10.03 tag. Same as above.

So it seems that needs some more attempts.

I wonder whether its possible to just cross-build build a MIPS kernel and
then package it into a JFFS image manually. But then I´d have to build the
cross build environment myself as I obviously do not want to compile on my
router ;).

Well thats at least my current status update. Seems 2.6.30 will have to do
for a while. I do not see much sense to update to the 2.6.31 thats on
wpkg.org.

Ciao,