[iodine-users] Using iodine without a direct connection to DNS server

Gulshan Singh gsingh2011 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 26 04:40:07 CET 2015

I'm still very new to iodine, so apologies if this is a dumb question.

I have iodine somewhat working. I've posted another question about it
disconnecting after a certain amount of time, but I know at least I'm able
to make a successful connection to it.

However, what if I'm connected to an access point that only allows DNS
requests, and the DNS requests need to be sent directly to the gateway (not
to any other DNS servers)? In other words, instead of running, `iodine -fP
pass mydomain.com iodine.mydomain.com` (assuming iodined is running on
mydomain.com), I would have to run something like `iodine -fP pass
<gateway-ip> iodine.mydomain.com`, because I can't send DNS requests to my
server, however, this doesn't work.

Is there anything I can do here? Should this case actually work? If I run
`dig iodine.mydomain.com +trace`, I can see that dig does correctly figure
out that mydomain.com is the nameserver for iodine.mydomain.com, so it
seems like it technically should be possible to tunnel traffic through DNS,
I just don't know if it's not working because it's not supported or I'm
doing something wrong.