[iodine-users] iodine getting started

Gulshan Singh gsingh2011 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 07:00:40 CET 2016

Hi Marcus, thanks for the response.

I had originally typed out most of the info you wanted, but I realized I
had a more fundamental problem that was probably causing my issue. I will
clarify though that iodined is running on my remote Ubuntu server and
iodine is running on my local Arch Linux machine.

I was reading the Github page and I saw this in the routing section "It is
possible to route all traffic through the DNS tunnel. To do this, first add
a host route to the nameserver used by iodine over the wired/wireless
interface with the default gateway as gateway. Then replace the default
gateway with the iodined server's IP address inside the DNS tunnel, and
configure the server to do NAT." I'm confused on exactly how to configure
this. Here is my current routing table:

```
$ route -n

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use
Iface
0.0.0.0         10.0.1.1        0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 wlo1
10.0.1.0        0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 wlo1
```

Here's my IP address info:
```
$ ifconfig
wlo1: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
        inet 10.0.1.9  netmask 255.255.255.0  broadcast 10.0.1.255
        inet6 fe80::2ae3:47ff:fe97:9529  prefixlen 64  scopeid 0x20<link>
        inet6 2601:647:4d02:4add:2ae3:47ff:fe97:9529  prefixlen 64  scopeid
0x0<global>
        ether 28:e3:47:97:95:29  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)
        RX packets 4096420  bytes 4826463118 (4.4 GiB)
        RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
        TX packets 2420703  bytes 530422788 (505.8 MiB)
        TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0
```

Now here's the issue. When I start the iodine client, it creates the dns0
interface and I need to set that as my default gateway. I can do this, but
if I do, wlo1 loses connection to talk to the nameserver (I have tested
this, and that is what happens). To fix this, I probably need to implement
this part of the Github instructions, "first add a host route to the
nameserver used by iodine over the wired/wireless interface with the
default gateway as gateway." The nameserver is the router (10.0.1.1), and
there's already a route to 10.0.1.0/24, so shouldn't this already work, or
do I need to do something extra?