[peervpn] using compression?

Tomasz Chmielewski tch at virtall.com
Wed Oct 21 07:08:02 CEST 2015

On 2015-10-21 06:46, Tobias Volk wrote:
> This is actually a planned feature. These would be the requirements in
> my point of view:
>
> * Compression should be negotiated per link

That sounds reasonable.

> and it should be possible
> to compress one-way. For example, an ADSL-connected node may want to
> compress its upstream to save bandwidth, but prefer to receive an
> uncompressed downstream to reduce CPU load on both sides.

Isn't it an overkill?

On most modern hardware (servers and desktops), you'd need to push
really lots of data constantly to have visible CPU usage differences
(with one-way vs two-way compression).
It could make some difference for very small devices like mobile phones
- but again, I'm not sure they are the main target of PeerVPN.

--
Tomasz Chmielewski