[sheepdog-users] 50.000 iops per VM

Christoph Hellwig hch at infradead.org
Wed Jul 4 07:07:19 CEST 2012

On Tue, Jul 03, 2012 at 10:28:17PM +0200, Stefan Priebe wrote:
> For testing purposes i had:
>
> 4x dedicated sheep nodes:
> - Intel Xeon E5 8 Core 3,6Ghz
> - 64GB Memory
> - 10GBE
> - 4x Intel 240GB SSD (write: 250MB/s and 25.000 iop/s random 4k)

exact git revision of sheepdog

> On the KVM Machine i used a sheep process acting as the gateway with
> the following options: -G -i 32 -g 32 -W

> On each sheep node i used one sheep per disk: -g 32 -i 32 -W

filesystems on the nodes?

I/O scheduler in the guest and the host?

sheep git revision?  qemu release?

In general I doubt anyone has optimized sheepdog for iops and low
latency at this moment as other things have kept people.  There's
some relatively low hanging fruit like avoiding additional copies
in the gateway, but your numbers still sound very low.

Can you also do a perf record -g on both a storage node and the
kvm box to see if there's anything interesting on them?