[sheepdog-users] Several difficulties with sheepdog (from 0.4.0-0+tek2b-10 deb package)

David Douard david.douard at logilab.fr
Thu Jul 26 17:38:42 CEST 2012

On 26/07/2012 17:05, Bastian Scholz wrote:
> Am 2012-07-26 16:39, schrieb icez network:
>> sheepdog v0.4.0 change the storage backend from 'simple' to 'farm' so
>> that
>> you required some manual task from 'good practices' (especially
>> converting
>> the storage backend from simple to farm).
>
> I guess thats not the problem (definitely not in my environment ;-)
>
> I am using farm as storage, but if I understand David correct, wants
> to update only the debian package (both sheepdog 0.4, but with
> different startup scripts) so he already had farm storage...

yup, that's the idea

> The problem I think is, that he kills the sheeps manually instead
> of a cluster shutdown. In this case it seems to me, that the sheeps
> invalidate their data. If he kills all sheep at the same time, than
> no sheep with valid data remains....
>
> A similar problem happens to me, if I had a complete network error
> and my three nodes cant see each other. I didnt find a way to
> recover from this situation...

yup (again). The problem is that it is very easy to fall in this kind of
situation where you loose all the data... Which a clustered system like
sheepdog should prevent from. I guess all this is first a problem of
documentation (missing howtos on cluster management tasks), and then a
matter of implementing seat belts in sheepdog (a bit more difficult to
do, but required for 1.0, IMHO).

> Cheers
>
> Bastian

David DOUARD		LOGILAB