[sheepdog-users] Testing sheepdog with OpenStack

MORITA Kazutaka morita.kazutaka at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 16:17:32 CET 2013

Hi all,

Recently, I've heard several users tries to use Sheepdog from
OpenStack.  Unfortunately, there is no enough document yet about it.

I've modified DevStack (a script to build OpenStack environment) so
that we can easily test Sheepdog with OpenStack.

Here is a quick start guide (see also http://devstack.org/):

1. Install Ubuntu 12.04 (Precise) or Fedora 16

2. Start Sheepdog and format it.

3. Download patched devstack from github
  $ git clone git://github.com/kazum/devstack.git

4. Setup DevStack

  $ cd devstack
  $ echo "enable_service cinder" >> localrc

5. Start DevStack

  $ CINDER_DRIVER=sheepdog ./stack.sh

Then you can control OpenStack and Sheepdog volumes from your web
browser (please follow the output of stack.sh).

DevStack is a tool for OpenStack developers, but I hope it would help
you understand how to use Sheepdog with OpenStack until more
user-friendly documents come.  I've tested creating and snapshoting a
sheepdog volume, and booting from it.  Looks like working well.

Thanks,

Kazutaka