[sheepdog-users] collie cluster snapshot

Liu Yuan namei.unix at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 05:05:25 CEST 2013

On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 01:37:32PM +0000, Andrew J. Hobbs wrote:
> Question on usage for this.  I've attempted to do this on a mounted SMB
> share.  It seems cluster snapshots need xattr support as well? Is that
> necessary?  I have a number of large shares available on servers that
> would seem a perfect spot to place a cluster snapshot.

xattr isn't necessary. The code lingers because previously we use it to do
refcount for deletion.

> Can a cluster snapshot be taken, then moved to a SMB type share for
> backup reasons?  IE: Could I move such a saved snapshot and restore
> without silent issues due to attributes not being preserved?

I think of removing these xattr code, since 'cluster snapshot' doesn't use it
at all for now. You can actually move snapshot everythere you want. The cluster
snapshot is location independent.

Stay tuned I'll remove xattr dependency and then you can save cluster snapshot
directly on your SBM share.

Thanks