[sheepdog-users] [ANNOUNCE] stable sheepdog branch

Hitoshi Mitake mitake.hitoshi at gmail.com
Wed Jun 26 05:06:36 CEST 2013

At Tue, 25 Jun 2013 23:18:37 +0900,
MORITA Kazutaka wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> In the previous IRC meeting, we decided to maintain stable branches
> for minor version releases like 0.6.x.  Currently, Hitoshi is willing
> to take charge of it, but feel free to let us know if there is someone
> who wants to manage the stable branches.
>
> I think he will propose a plan for stable versions (release cycle,
> branch name, patch management policy, and so on) later.

Hi all,

I'd like to propose a rough idea of the stable branch management
policy.

- what kind of patches will be imported to the stable branch

Of course bug fixes (e.g. Kyle's zookeeper fix) are highly
prioritized. And cleaning patches would also be imported even if they
do nothing for users because bug fixes might depend on them.

In addition, I want to import patches of new features for helping
administration as much as possible. These would be helpful for users
who employ sheepdog for production purposes.

- release cycle

I'll pick a major release for a base of the stable branch per 6
months.

One stable branch will be updated once per 4 weeks. The release would
be done after the periodic IRC meeting. I feel this releasing pace
would be confortable for users.

- naming scheme of the stable branch (and the master branch)

Current versioning scheme of sheepdog is x.y.z. I want to use a naming
scheme x.y.z-yyyy.mm.dd for a version number of stable branch
releases. yyyy/mm/dd expresses the release date of the branch. I will
create a branch which has a name like x.y.z-yyyy.mm.dd-working between
each release and push patches to this branch. Renaming
x.y.z-yyyy.mm.dd-working to x.y.z will be releasing. After that, I'll
create next x.y.z-yyyy.mm.dd-working'.

Request for comments, thanks.
Hitoshi