[sheepdog-users] problem converting vdi

MORITA Kazutaka morita.kazutaka at lab.ntt.co.jp
Thu Jun 27 08:53:29 CEST 2013

At Thu, 27 Jun 2013 13:23:02 +0800,
Liu Yuan wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 11:40:06AM +0200, Valerio Pachera wrote:
> > 2013/6/26 Valerio Pachera <sirio81 at gmail.com>:
> > > I tried a second time, but it didn't repeat >:(
> >
> > I got it.
> > kill -9 does the trick.
> >
> > kill -9 the running guest.
> > rerun the guest on the same node to flush the cache and shut it down correctly.
> > Convert the vdi to qcow2.
> > Delete the vdi and import back the qcow2.
> > Start the guest.
>
> I can't still reproduce the problem yet. Anyone give it a try?

I couldn't either.

Perhaps, the gateway failed to push the dirty cache objects when qemu
shutdowns cleanly?  Currently, local_release_vdi() deletes cache
objects even when object_cache_flush_vdi() fails, and returns
SD_RES_SUCCESS to qemu always.  I think it's safe to delete cache
objects only when sheep successfully push them, and the gateway should
return the result code to qemu on error so that the user can know it.

Thanks,

Kazutaka